Friday, May 2, 2008

Memories Ch. 7-3

Previous Post


Anakin walked down the street, his hands in the pockets of his light jacket. A brisk wind sliced through the shops, pushing some of the dried leaves forward. His eyes flickered around the people walking past him and then up to the sun.

I guess Sannah should be getting off of work soon, he thought to himself.

Suddenly, he heard someone calling his name from behind him. "Anakin!"

Before he could react, a heavy weight slammed into his back, throwing him forward, causing him to fall to the ground. He banged his forehead against the ferocrete of the walkway and could feel the stinging sensation of a scrape as it flared to life on his right knee. The pressure of a body on his back constricted his breathing and he groaned slightly.

Tahiri's smiling voice came from somewhere near his ear. "You just fell over. That was rather... surprising." Then her voice took on a softer, apologetic tone. "Uhm... I'm sorry."

Anakin lifted his head and glanced over his shoulder to see her. Her green eyes were filled with sympathy and shimmered slightly with unshed tears. He blew out a short breath. "I understand. Now get off."

She scampered off of him. "It was my fault today, huh?"

Anakin stood up, brushing the dirt and leaves from his clothes. "Yes, it was. You came at me from behind; I had no way of dodging."

"I'm sorry," she said again, hanging her head slightly.

Anakin watched her for a moment. Then he closed his eyes and posed with his hands on his hips, saying, "But we look great huh?"

Her head snapped up, and then she glanced up and down his clothes. He knew that she was looking at the dirt on his shirt and the tear in the right knee of his pants.

Then she giggled, a light, bubbling sound. "Yes. Yes, we do."

Anakin resumed his walk, and Tahiri fell into step beside him. After a half dozen steps, he looked down at her. "Yesterday's movie was good."

A shiver raced through her body. "Don't make me remember that thing, please."

Anakin laughed. "So, what are you doing here today?"

"There's only one thing I come here for."

"Eat and run?" Anakin replied, a half grin forming on his lips.

"No!" Tahiri exclaimed sharply as an outraged expression appeared on her face.

He laughed again. "So, did you remember what you were looking for?"

The outrage flickered away, replaced by sadness. "No, not yet. But I know I will."

Anakin nodded his head and then glanced up at the darkening sky. He stopped walking and looked at her as she stopped as well. "I would help you look again today, but I've got to get home early tonight. I'm sorry."

"That's all right," she said, smiling up at him. "I was getting a little cold anyways so I thought I'd go home early myself."

Tahiri looked down at her feet for a moment. Then her head snapped up so that she could look at Anakin, and said, "Well, I guess I'll be going home then." She waved to him and then turned and ran off.

Anakin returned her wave and then watched her until she turned a corner and disappeared from sight.

I wonder if Sannah made it home, he thought to himself. Then he turned and heard laughter coming from nearby. Curious he walked down a side street and saw a holobooth, one of the ones that would print still flimsies of three different poses, or for an extra charge a cycling holographic cube of the three poses, of a group of people. Currently there were three of the younger trainees from the Jedi Temple crammed beneath the privacy curtain, giggling and laughing. Standing a few meters from them, in the shadows, was Sannah. An odd expression on her face. Anakin would almost describe it as longing.

He watched for a moment and then crossed over to her, walking up behind her silently.

"So you want to have your picture taken?" As he began to talk, she jumped and twisted around, horror filling her face.

"Ah... ah... an... Ana... Anakin..." She stammered in reply.

"If you do, you might want to ask Tahiri. I'm sure she's around here somewhere. I'm fairly certain she'd enjoy having her picture taken."

She straightened herself up to her full height and glared at him. "I don't want to do that!"

Anakin arched an eyebrow at her. "Then why were you staring?"

Sannah crossed her arms, and turned halfway from him, so that Anakin was able to watch her profile. After a moment, she answered. "I was just a little bit interested. But they're acting so childish over it."

Anakin shrugged. "It's kind of mean for you to be making fun of them."

She huffed and spun all the way around, and started marching towards the apartment. "I don't have anything to say to you, so I'm going home."

"Oh good," Anakin began, a smile forming on his lips as he fell into step beside her. "You're going home? So am I."

"No. You stay here. I'm going home." She called out and then started running.

"But we're going home together!" He replied with a laugh.

Then he felt a crawling sensation on the back of his neck, as if someone was watching him. He spun in a quick circle and noticed Jaina's teammate Ganner a short distance away. A haunted expression was on his face as he stared after Sannah.

Anakin stopped and watched him as a scowl appeared on his own face. After a moment, as if he sensed him, Ganner's stare shifted from Sannah to Anakin. Then he turned away and trudged deeper into the shopping district.

Anakin watched for a moment longer, until Sannah called out, "Aren't you coming?"

He frowned for a moment and then turned back to her, smiling once again. "Of course, we're going home."

They had walked a short distance in silence when Anakin looked at her once again.

"So," he began. "How was working in the crèche?"

Sannah just shrugged her shoulders. "It was all right I guess. All I had to do was yell and then pat them on the heads when they did something right."

Anakin was skeptical. "That sounds kind of hard to believe."

Anger flashed on Sannah's face again. "But it's true. I tried my best."

Then she tossed her hair over her shoulders and started walking faster.

"Hey!" Anakin called out. "Where are you going? Let's walk home together."

She spun around, a flush on her cheeks. "I don't want to go home together with you."

Then she stuck her tongue out at him and darted down one of the alleys between the shops.

"Hey Sannah!" he called out to her. He watched as she turned a corner, heading deeper into the shopping district; away from the apartment. She really is helpless, he thought to himself. He shrugged his shoulders and then scratched at his head. That's right. I need to buy a new datapad. He turned back towards the shopping district and began walking deeper into it.

After a few steps, he heard the soft, light steps which Sannah always used. An unconscious grin flickered across his face. Then he spun around and she darted behind the pole of one of the street lamps. Anakin stood there watching her for a moment as she pressed her face tightly against the pole.

He sighed and then turned around again and once more started walking. Within moments, he once more heard Sannah's footsteps.

For a second time, he spun around. Shock flickered onto her face as her head darted around, looking for a hiding place.

"Why are you following me?" he asked her.

"I'm not. I... I uh... I have something I have to do over here," she said pointing over his shoulder.

"What?"

She grimaced and then pointed down an alley to her left, saying, "I'm going this way."

She darted down the alley and Anakin sighed. He walked to the corner and hid there, waiting. His wait was short. Within seconds, her face peeked around the corner, hunting for him, and he stepped into full view. She yelped in surprise, jumping back from him.

"You're planning something mean, aren't you?" he accused.

"No!" she yelled. Then in a softer voice, said, "I just remembered that I have something I need to do over here."

Anakin watched her for a moment longer, noticing the anger that was prominent on her features and the hesitance and need that hid beneath it.

"Will you walk with me?"

Her eyes widened at his request. "Wh-what?"

He grinned. "Will you walk with me? I think it's silly that we live together, yet can't walk home with one another. Walk with me and let's talk."

If possible, her eyes widened even more and she silently nodded her head. Anakin smiled at her and began walking, noticing as she fell into step beside him, her chin tucked against her chest and a blush shining bright on her cheeks.
Next Post

No comments: