Sunday, July 13, 2008

I Want to be Your Knight - Ch. 31

Previous Post


Yes, I knew my duty, and for the first time since I had became Jacen's apprentice, I purposefully didn't do it.

Quickly assessing the security system, I turned off the security sensors for the ship, and as I was erasing my tracks, left indications in the system that it was system damage from the Confederate attack. Satisfied, I left the observation chamber, and stormed through the halls, until I came to the Interrogation room. I unlocked the door, and Lando stumbled forward, a snarl on his face as he saw me.

"What? Did you come to finish the job?"

I frowned at him. "No, It's not like that. Look, I had my job to do, now you're both coming with me."

"Like hell."

Ignoring Lando's response, and protests, I reached out with the Force and lifted Tendra up. I moved quickly through the ship, Lando following me, his suspicion a black poison at the back of my awareness. Finally, we arrived at the Admiral's gig. I gestured Lando inside, and floated Tendra in towards one of the benches. Strapping her down, I reached out with the Force and put her into a healing trance.

I stepped back to find Lando pointing a blaster at me. I had no idea where he had gotten the weapon from and I didn't really care. "Are you going to shoot me Uncle Lando? If so, do it fast, you don't have much time."

Lando sighed and lowered the blaster. "No... I'm not."

I nodded and gestured towards Tendra. "I've put her into a healing trance. If you say her name that will bring her out of it. The baby feels alive in the Force, but I can't promise how much longer she'll stay that way. We're currently in orbit around Denon." I frowned, not sure what else to say. Finally, I sighed. "I'm sorry, Uncle Lando. You were right. I shouldn't have done this. I'll make it up to you and your daughter one day. I promise."

Lando's brown eyes bored into mine for a moment. Then he nodded and turned towards the cockpit. I took one last look at his back and then at Tendra, before I fled the shuttle.

I stepped onto the metal deck, as the hatch closed behind me. Klaxons blared again, and with a slight backwash of ion reflux, the shuttle was gone. I stood still for a moment--my mind racing in a dozen different ways. I had disobeyed Jacen. I had broken protocols, and broke the law. I even wondered if that made me a bad Jedi.

Lekauf's words raced through his head. "Our job's about helping the good guys; sometimes that means a protocol needs to be nudged a bit."

That kicked me into high gear and I went forward, knowing I only had a few more moments before the security protocols came back online. I entered the bridge, to find Jacen snarling at the gunners, ordering them to increase their efficiency in killing those attacking his ship.

And just as suddenly as the vision assaulted me, I was once again back in reality. Seha crumpled. I blinked and was up and by her side in moments. She was unconscious, her breathing shallow. and I looked around at Jys to find that she was curled up on the floor, her body shaking. I frowned, wondering why they were being subjected to my Force visions.

Even more confusing was why they were affecting them so badly.

Part of our team exercises involved building a training bond between us, so I knew they had something of a quick shortcut into my head. Yet they had never before seen any of the visions the Force inflicted on me. Of course, they hadn't ever been this close while I was on the receiving end of one either.

I leaned back against the couch, one hand resting gently on the top of Seha's head, as I closed my eyes. Exhaustion claimed me and I was asleep within moments.

I felt the toe of someone's boot tapping against my side, and my eyes popped open. I craned my neck backwards and found Jysella standing over me, her eyes were tear-stained and bloodshot.

From the grainy texture of mine, I assumed mine were the same.

"Yeah?" I said, even my voice sounding grainy.

She shook her head. "We just need to get going. If we're still going to."

I nodded my head, and focused on Seha who was sleeping soundly. I shook her, and she bolted awake; nearly jumping off my lap. She stared at me, a wildness in her eyes that seemed at odds to the peace she had exuded while asleep.

Finally, she seemed to realize where she was at, and calmed down while exhaling heavily. "Sorry," she mumbled. "I was having a bad dream."

Jysella barked a short laugh. "We've all had it. The Force was projecting Ben's memories."

She blinked and stood up, fleeing to her room.

I watched as she disappeared, and then yelped in pain as Jysella kicked me again. Hard this time.

"What the kriff did you do to her this time, Skywalker?"

I shook my head, wondering the exact same thing.


Next Post

No comments: