Thursday, October 12, 2006

Themed Drabbles Set 14

Sun

I dream sometimes.

Even though Jedi aren’t supposed to, I still do. Wonderful dreams of my children running in the bright golden light of the sun. A boy and a girl. Both with hair like the sun, and eyes like cool ice.

When I wake, I always wonder if it’s just the Force teasing me. Showing me things I want, I crave, but that I can never have.

Not with Anakin dead.

After all, a Tusken mates for life. And unknown to everyone but Sliven, on the night I became an adult of the tribe, Anakin and I were wed.


Moon

I still remember Tionne’s confusion, her worry over Anakin, her confusion as to why we couldn’t get him to the ship right then. What other part of the ritual had to occur.

I don’t think she ever realized that the words Sliven spoke over Anakin and I bound us for life. Eternity. One to the other, there in the deep desert, under the full moon, the same way Tuskens have been doing since time immemorial.

I know it’s not the way for others, and I wonder what would have happened if he hadn’t chosen me when he became of age.


Stars

I like to take my X-Wing up, break atmosphere and just drift here. With nothing but the cold light of distant stars shining upon me. It reminds me of so many things, home, nights on the desert, sneaking out of the Temple.

But mostly, it reminds me of Anakin.

He taught me how to fly an X-Wing.

Long hours crammed together into a simulator. I think we may have kissed more than actually trained, but I did not mind then, and I miss it now.

Those were the happiest days of my life.

There were just so few of them.


Clouds

I don’t think I’ll ever forget that night on the Errant Venture, when I finally told him what the last part of the Tusken ceremony was, when I told him that according to my society - the rules I grew up with - that we were wed.

That I was his.

The shock on his face, the confusion, it hurt me, but he stopped me as I was about to leave.

There’s a Tusken phrase, “floating in the clouds.” It describes someone who is lost to their body, who gives in to someone.

I never understood it until that night.


Planet

I see the planet turning slowly above me, my X-Wing inverted in relation to it, so that I look up at it. A beautiful shining ball.

I’m part of a Jedi delegation, sent to welcome the Chume’ta of Hapes, the new princess, at her coming out to society.

I don’t want to go down there.

It has nothing to do with the princess, or with Tenel Ka. I love her like the sister I wish she was.

It has everything to do with Anakin.

It has everything to do with the fact that this is where we burned his body.

No comments: