Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I Want to be Your Knight - Ch. 29

Previous Post


I spun on my heel and walked from the Council chambers. Behind me, I could feel the more or less confusion coming from the two girls. As I stormed through the doors, I could feel them following behind me, their interest in my past bubbling over; sharp enough that I could imagine the taste of their emotions on my tongue.

Frankly, I didn't like that. What had happened with Lando and his daughter was another of those things that I didn't want to think about. One of those things that still gave me nightmares, which would cause me to bolt awake in the middle of the night. Even now, I can feel the chill of what I had almost done racing up and down my spine.

I stopped in front of the lift and jabbed at the call button a few times. Praying to the Force that maybe this time the more I hit it the faster it would arrive. Turbolifts were too contained a place to be with those two girls, and their inevitable questions, at the moment.

Of course, the Force didn't help me out.

The girls stepped up beside me, one on either side. Their interest and confusion and curiosity bubbling over, yet they were silent. For a moment I wondered if my shields were leaking. Finally, the lift arrived, and I got on. Leaning against the back wall, I closed my eyes as the girls also got on, and directed the machine to take us to the floor where our quarters were.

Amazingly, they were quiet, not asking anything. For a moment, I wondered if this was another emotional scab I wouldn't have to pick at.

Of course, the Force didn't help me out.

The vision slammed into me, and I was once more wearing Guard day fatigues. I was in the midst of my squad as we purposefully walked down the hall. We were in a non-descript corridor, our heavy boots echoing in the unnatural stillness. Even without identifying marks, I knew exactly where we were at, and when. The Solar Wind space station, in orbit around Dearius III, and it was just a few short weeks before Mom's death.

Technically, we shouldn't have been there. The Solar Wind was well outside GA space, on the edge of the Outer Rim. We were there for a single reason. The owner of the Solar Wind was a known accomplice of wanted fugitives: my aunt and uncle. If you've not figured it out yet, it was Lando.

We arrived in the inner sanctum to find the final set of guards, Lando and his wife, Tendra. His face was set in hard, precise lines. A small flicker in the eyes as he shifted his view from us to Tendra let me know that he was worried about her. My squad took up positions near the doors, ready to jump in. I stood defiantly in the middle of the doorway, watching them.

"I'm here to bring you in Uncle Lando."

Lando frowned at me, and slowly shook his head. "Sorry Kid, I can't do that."

I sighed, and allowed my gaze to flick back and forth between my squad and Lando's guards. "C'mon Uncle Lando. It's my job."

He shook his head once again. "No. I know it's not. It's just what Jacen has been telling you need to do."

I frowned, snarling slightly. "It's my responsibility!"

"And Mirax was what?" I felt my heart twinge at that. I knew what had happened to Mirax after I had turned her over to Jacen. There was no denying the security recordings. I closed my eyes and turned away. Lando's voice just continued from the darkness. "Valin and Jysella now are missing a parent. Tendra's pregnant. Do you want my daughter growing up without both of her parents?"

I stepped away from the door. "I'm sorry, but it's my duty." I had been using that justification too much lately.

"I'm sorry too kid."

I gestured towards the squad. "Make sure Lando and Tendra are alive. Colonel Solo wants to talk with them."

They nodded their head and then darted into the room. Blasters fired, echoing loudly in the chamber. The weapons fell silent, and I turned back. Lando had a blaster wound on his leg and Kiron was placing shockcuffs on Tendra. I frowned and found I couldn't look him in the eye. I found that I was focused on Tendra's belly. She was even further along than I had expected; somewhere along seven months. Something twisted in my chest, and I imagined Kiara staring at me as I walked away, leaving her to die.

I spun on my heel and took off down the corridor, heading back towards the drop ship. Settling down into the co-pilot's station, I kept an eye on my squad's transponders and wondered what I could say to Uncle Lando when they finally arrived at the ship. Kriff, I wondered what I'd be able to tell Dad when he found out I turned in Uncle Lando. The look on his face when he discovered that I was the one who arrested Mirax was bad enough.

The squad arrived back at the drop ship, and we pulled away from the station. Luckily the guys kept Lando and Tendra in the back and I didn't have to face them. I didn't have to face another family friend giving me the look that said I should have known better. Because let's face it, I should have.

Within a few minutes we had arrived back at the Anakin Solo. Once again, Jacen was waiting us. I stood there, my head held high as my squad brought out Uncle Lando. Jacen just smiled as he looked between the two of them. When he finally spoke, there was no hint of any humor in his voice. "Lando. It's so nice to see you again... and no one has told me that Tendra was pregnant."

Lando lunged forward, but his leg gave out and he crumbled to the floor. Jacen laughed as he turned away and gestured to the MPs. "Put them in Interrogation Room 1."

I watched, my heart in my throat as they were hauled away. The memories I had of Mirax and Ailyn Vel hanging heavy, their screams haunting me.


Next Post

No comments: