Monday, March 31, 2008

I Want to be Your Knight - Chapter 30

Previous Post


I dropped to my knees, fighting the urge to vomit. I didn't remember Force visions being quite so demanding on the body. Finally, I opened my eyes and lifted my head slightly. Sounds crashed against my ears; harsh gagging noises. I glanced over at Jys to find her clutching the handrail of the turbolift. Turning to the left I saw Seha--who happened to be the source of the gagging noises. She was curled in a ball, tears streaming down her face.

"W-what t-the kri... kriff was that?" Jysella's voice was bitter and broken.

Ignoring her for the moment, I reached out and touched Seha's shoulder. She lifted her head, the pain shining brightly in her eyes. She stared at me for a heartbeat and then lunged forward. I wrapped my arms around her as she once more broke down into tears.

I looked over at Jys, and finally responded to her question. "It was a Force vision. I get them occasionally when I'm trying to not remember something. First time it's been a shared experience though."

Through her tears, Seha spoke into my shoulder. "It... it was like the worst moments of my life played out before me. But it wasn't my memory."

I saw Jysella nodding her head slowly. "Yeah..."

Frowning, I brushed my hand through Seha's hair. "I know... it was my memory, and I'm sorry. I'm sure it's because of our training bond that we all suffered the same sort of vision. I... I don't think it's a good idea for you two to go with me."

Jysella scowled at me. "Get over yourself Skywalker. We're all going, or none of us are."

Seha nodded her head. "Yeah."

I sighed and shook my head. "Does anyone know why the two of you both got that vision?"

Both of the girls shook their heads no.

I frowned as I stared at the doors of the lift. They parted, and I struggled to my feet, helping Seha up in the process. We finally made it to our shared quarters, and dropped onto one of the couches. I closed my eyes, trying to regain my composure. A stillness formed between us, soothing and calming. It was the quietest I had ever heard either girls, and most definitely the quietest that I'd ever heard when both were right there together. Later I learned that they were taking that time to process what they had seen in the vision.

Finally, Seha broke the silence. "What happened with Lando?"

I frowned, and shook my head. "I... I'm not sure I should tell you."

Jys punched my shoulder hard. "You're a kriffing idiot, Skywalker. Obviously the Force wants us to know, or why else would we have all participated in the vision?"

"I..." Sighing, I shook my head again.

I could feel the disappointment from both the girls. They wanted to know. Yet, I still didn't want to face my past. It scared me. I didn't like to think about it, dwell on it, or even remember that I had a past.

Which, I guess why the Force loved to poke and prod at my memories. One would think that one would learn that the Force won't stop picking at your wounds until you've figured out how to heal them. Despite the promise everyone always claimed I showed, I was quite often a slow learner.

As I opened my mouth to tell the girls that I couldn't tell them, the Force dropped the past back on me again.

I sat in the observation chamber overlooking Interrogation Room 1. I found it odd that Jacen had put both of them in the same room, as standard operating procedure would be to separate them. Being alone for hours on end can often work wonders at loosening tongues. I kept the sound off, as I didn't want to hear Aunt Tendra's crying. Finally, Jacen walked in. Lando's head snapped towards him, and I could feel the blast of anger and disgust roll across the Force.

Jacen threw his head back and laughed. It was odd watching that without the sound.

Then he began his special interrogation.

I cringed as he plucked Lando up off Tendra. Lando's head threw back, his mouth opened in a silent scream. I could even see the blood vessels and tendons straining in his neck.

My mind provided Mirax's and Ailyn Vel's screams as a soundtrack.

After what seemed forever, Lando dropped to the ground, panting.

Then he turned his attention to Tendra. Bolts of greenish lightning flashed from his outstretched palm, striking her on her legs. I flipped the sound switch as my stomach clenched, and clearly heard Tendra's howls of pain.

Suddenly, the lightning stopped.

"Tell me where my parents are, Lando. I'd hate to move this lightning up," Jacen said. His voice was cold and calm, yet I could feel an edge of hate and anger beneath the controlled demeanor.

Lando shook his head, as his shoulders hitched with his tears.

Jacen's hand shifted upwards slightly, and for a second, lightning flashed across Tendra's stomach.

Tendra rolled into a ball, her cries frying into my brain right next to Mirax's and Vel's.

Lando shook his head again. Jacen lifted his palm towards Tendra, and then the Anakin Solo lurched. An all-hands klaxon blared throughout the ship, and Jacen yanked out his comlink. "Bridge, report!"

"Sir, a Confederation battle group has dropped out of hyperspace."

Jacen lowered the comlink for a moment, and then stormed from the room, lifting it towards his lips as he left.

I stayed in the observation bubble, watching Lando as he hobbled across the floor, to comfort his wife who was clutching at her stomach. My own stomach twisted, and I dropped to my knees, and vomited. After a moment, I got up, and looked down into the room, and noticed that Tendra was surrounded by a pool of bloody water. My eyes widened in shock as I belatedly saw Lando slamming his fist against the door, screaming uselessly at it.

Indecision gripped at me. What should I do? Standing rules demanded that no one be allowed out of Interrogation rooms no matter what. But this was not some nebulous threat, or some hardened criminal here; this was an innocent child's life hanging in the balance.

My duty was clear.

Next Post

No comments: